Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

March Madness

It is that time of year again! To be honest, I wasn't all that excited about March Madness this year. As a Sooner fan, I haven't had much to cheer about in college basketball the past couple of seasons. Thank goodness my husband is a Kansas fan, and I can claim them by marriage. Plus, with the Thunder playing so well, college basketball has kind of been replaced in my life. However, once the games started yesterday, so did the excitement!

I watched WAY too much basketball yesterday and will continue to do so until the tournament is over. I don't know what it is about March Madness, but it doesn't matter who's playing, even if it's two teams I've never heard of or paid attention to, it just makes me want to watch. You can feel the excitement through your TV screen. Every game has the potential of being a close game. And I can't get enough of those buzzer beaters!

Then, of course, there's the brackets. Oh the brackets. I have filled out a March Madness bracket as long as I can remember. Sometimes it was just for fun with my family, sometimes it was for an office "pool," and Theron and I have filled out brackets to compete against each other since we've been dating (all in good fun, of course). This year was no different. We filled out our brackets, and the winner gets to choose where we eat dinner on our next date night. I know it's still early on, but I'm thinking Pachinko Parlor, :). Did I mention I'm currently winning? Not that it's really a big deal. But I am winning. By 4 games. But really, it's no big deal .

Maybe it's the athlete in me, but I can't watch these games without getting emotional. I don't personally know anyone who's playing. I really don't even care about any of the teams who are playing. I just can't help myself. When I watch the games, my heart races, my adrenaline starts pumping, and I get so excited or so disappointed, depending on the outcome of the game.

And the championship game? Don't even get me started on the championship game. I probably get more nervous than the people actually playing. I'm not really sure why I get so emotionally involved. It just happens. I'm the same way for any major sporting event (the Super Bowl, the Olympics, you get the picture). I almost always end up crying. I know...I'm crazy. I just can't help myself. When the game is over, and the champion is crowned, it just seems like it has to be one of the best moments in a person's life. Sure, it makes more sense if you're actually the one playing the game, but a girl can live vicariously, right? I see the excitement of the winning team (or individual), and I just can't contain myself. I think of how hard they've worked and how rewarded they must feel. And then I cry. It's really pathetic, but I don't see myself changing any time soon.

So, even though I wasn't too excited about March Madness this year...it has consumed me once again. What about you? Do you love March Madness? Could you care less? How's your bracket doing? I would love to hear your thoughts!

Enjoy the Madness!!!

1 comment:

  1. LOL totally agree...sooners have been breaking my heart since blake and taylor left. haha enjoying your little blogs, work on the computer doing art all the time and they are nice little breaks...THUNDER UP!!!BOOMER SOONER!!!
    blake

    ReplyDelete