Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Glorious Hot Water

I took a shower this morning...with HOT water! Some of you may not find this all that exciting and wonderful, but can I tell you, it was glorious!

You see, we have had issues with our hot water heater for the past 2 weeks. At first, it seemed like no big deal. We didn't have hot water one morning, so Theron checked out the hot water heater. The pilot light had gone out. No biggie. He successfully re-lit the pilot light. Problem solved. Or not.

The water got warm, but it still wasn't getting hot. So, we turned the temperature up a bit, thinking we might need to do this to get the water hot at first. Then, we could eventually turn it back down. It worked! Or not.

We would go a couple of days with warm to hot water, then a day with COLD water. The pilot light would not stay lit, and this whole process was getting a little annoying.

For those of you who know me well, you know I really don't like taking showers. I don't mind them every once in awhile. I realize they are a necessity; however, I'm just not a huge fan. So, at first, this seemed ok. It was the perfect excuse not to shower. But, since I couldn't avoid showers altogether, I had to take warm showers, and yes, even cold showers (we're talking take-your-breath-away cold), and I knew something had to be done!

Theron agreed. Unlike me, he showers daily. Sometimes more than once. I don't get it. Anyway, he was getting really tired of warm showers and VERY tired of cold showers, so he decided it was time to call the plumber.

Well, the plumber came yesterday, and it turns out, the hot water heater was leaking. The leak was then putting out the pilot light. While we were hoping only a small part would need to be replaced, we ended up needing to replace the tank itself. I didn't care. I'm not a huge fan of spending large sums of money, especially on things like hot water heaters (think of all the clothes, shoes, fill in the blank I could buy with that money)! In this case, I would've paid just about anything to have hot water again.

The plumber replaced the tank and did an outstanding job! He was very friendly and worked quickly and efficiently. He's lucky I didn't give him a giant hug before he left, but I restrained myself.

This morning, I could not wait to shower! I kept thinking of that hot water. I was NOT disappointed. I didn't even rush through my shower like I normally do. I took my time and enjoyed every drop of that hot water. I enjoyed the steam that filled up the bathroom. It was honestly the best shower I've had in a very long time.

If you're like me, it's so easy to take little things like hot water for granted. This was a nice a reminder that I enjoy little "luxuries" every day that I never even give a second thought. Today, I will thank God for hot water in my home, along with all of the other little blessings He allows me to experience every day. And maybe...just maybe, this has taught me to enjoy my showers. Then again...maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment