Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Home Manager

Rather than Stay-At-Home Mom, I like to think of myself as Home Manager. You see, this is my job, and if I don't view it that way, things get ugly. I've already mentioned the struggles I had at first...not showering (always a struggle), not wearing "real" clothes, and really, not doing anything productive or beneficial for my family. This was my role as "stay-at-home mom."

When I could clearly see this was not working...for anyone...I decided to give myself a promotion. This is one of the many perks of my job - instant promotions any time I want. So, I promoted myself to Home Manager. Doesn't it just sound much more official and important? I knew with my new title, I had to take my job more seriously.

After being promoted to Home Manager, things quickly turned around. I was in charge of running our home the most efficient and effective way possible. Don't get me wrong. Theron is  most definitely the leader of our household. I wouldn't want it any other way. I view him as more of the CEO of our home.  He is the true leader, but he entrusts me to carry out the day-to-day operations of our family.

So what does the job of Home Manager look like?

First, like any successful operation, we have specific goals and objectives in mind. We have spiritual goals, financial goals, family goals, and life goals. Of course, there are short-term and long-term goals within each of these areas. Then, there are obviously the daily and weekly tasks that must be done, such as making sure my family is fed, making sure the house is clean, and in general, just making sure our basic needs are met. Our daily and weekly needs obviously come first, but I am always keeping our short-term and long-term goals in mind as I carry out our daily tasks.

Also, like any other business, we operate on a schedule. I gave you a picture of what our schedule looks like a few days ago. Unfortunately, this is a 7-11 type business...open 24 hours a day. Like I mentioned the other day, I do not see my schedule as restrictive, but liberating. When I follow my schedule, my day runs more smoothly, things get done, and I am able to help meet the goals of our family. I like to have my daily "to-do" list meshed with my every day schedule, so I can see when I will be able to do the things I need to get done. Otherwise, I am VERY good at wasting time. VERY good. This also keeps me from using the excuse "I just didn't have time today." I make time for the things that need to get done or that are important to me. No time for my quiet time? I make time. No time to exercise? I make time. I put them on my schedule, so I know there is time to accomplish them during the day.

Of course, there are good days and bad. Things don't always go the way I plan. I wish they did...but they don't. I am constantly trying to stay flexible...to go with the flow, but this is always a challenge. I am learning to do what I can with what I have and to realize that as much as I would like to control everything, I just can't.

I may not get everything on my schedule accomplished. I might waste a little time here and there (can we say Facebook?). But, I can do my very best to meet my family's needs and to make sure they know they are loved every single day.  If that is accomplished, I know I am doing a great job as Home Manager. I need to see who I can talk to about getting a raise, :)

2 comments:

  1. I was waiting to see if you had a Strategic Plan with numbered strategies and objectives! And probably to help you to stay organized you need Raiser's Edge so you can keep up with your various vendors, relationship, etc., and then run monthly reports so that you can let your CEO know the status of things! (I miss you!)

    ReplyDelete