Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

My Thunder Playoff Experience

As I told you last week, Theron and I got to go to the Thunder game last Wednesday. It was game two of their playoff series with Denver, and it was so much fun! My sweet sister came and stayed with us and kept Will for the evening, so we could enjoy a night out. We appreciated it SO much!

I hadn't been to a Thunder game this entire season, so I was really looking forward to it. I always love going, and I knew the playoffs would be even more exciting than a regular game. You could feel the energy as you walked up to the OKC Arena. They had live music, inflatables, and all kinds of other activities set up right outside for everyone to enjoy. Everyone was handed what I thought was banner as they walked through the door. When we got to our seats, I saw people folding them up accordian-style like a fan. I eventually found out that they were the world's greatest noisemakers, helping to make it louder than I had even imagined. Everyone also had a blue Thunder shirt laying on their seat to wear during the game. I was so pumped!

I definitely was not disappointed. The Thunder led from start to finish, completely dominating the Nuggets. While a really close game is fun sometimes, I kind of enjoyed that the game was stress free. The atmosphere also lived up to the hype. It was so loud that my head was pounding and my ears were ringing, but I absolutely loved it! There was one point in the game where the entire crowd was on its feet, cheering loudly and banging their noisemakers. You could see the appreciation on the players faces and you could see the energy it added to their demeanor. I've mentioned before how sporting events often make me emotional, and this was one of those times. Watching this scene play out before me almost brought tears to my eyes.

It is amazing what the Thunder have done for Oklahoma City. In just a few short years, they have gone from being one of the worst teams in the league, to being a true playoff contender. The entire city (and state for that matter) have rallied around them. As I looked across the crowd that night, I loved the sense of unity that could be felt throughout the arena. It was as if everyone had put aside their differences for that night to join together to support "their" team. People of every size, shape, color, religion, political affiliation, and even those loyal to red or orange all stood together in their bright blue cheering on the Thunder.

Because I'm always so deep (ha!), this really caused me to think. What if the Church...not just my church, not just your church, but The Church...the body of Christ came together with this kind of unity? What if we could put aside our differences to focus on the commonalities we share? What if people of every size, shape, color, and even denomination (gasp!) came together for the common purpose of sharing the love of Christ with a world that is in desperate need of that very thing? If we can do this for a sports team, why can't we do it for our Savior who gave up his life for us?

I love Thunder basketball. It is so much fun, and it has truly impacted and changed Oklahoma City forever. It just makes me think of the impact we could make on this city (state, nation, world) for Christ, if we could be so passionate about and unified around Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment