Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

Bierocks Casserole

I grew up eating Bierocks. They are basically a filling of hamburger, onion, and cabbage wrapped up in a yeast roll. Think Hot Pockets...only much better. From the small amount of research I did, I learned they have a German-Russian origin and were brought to America by German Russian Mennonite Immigrants. My husband and I both have German heritage (come on...our last name is Stoltzfus), so I think this is a fun dish to incorporate into our family meals.

I've always loved bierocks, but I will admit, they are quite a bit of work. Making the dough, making the filling, stuffing and wrapping each individual bun...it can be a bit time consuming. So, when I found this recipe for Bierocks Casserole, I knew I had to try it.

It is so simple, and we loved it! Of course, I will continue making traditional bierocks from time to time, but this is a nice substitute when we're a little pressed for time.

Bierocks Casserole

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 small onion
1/2 pkg. cole slaw mix
1 tube crescent rolls
salt and pepper for seasoning

Brown ground beef and onion. When cooked, add coleslaw mix, salt, and pepper. (I also added some celery salt, which I thought added a great flavor). Cook and stir about 10 minutes or until everything is cooked through. Prepare a greased 2 quart casserole dish by putting half of the crescent rolls on the bottom of the pan and sealing the seams. Evenly spread the meat mixture over the crescent rolls. Arrange the rest of the crescent roll dough over top of the meat mixture. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

Brown ground beef and onion.


Stir in coleslaw mix and seasonings.


Bottom layer of crescent rolls.


So, I forgot to take a picture after I added the meat mixture, but I know you're all smart enough to complete that step without a picture. Here is what it looks like once the top layer of crescent rolls has been added. A helpful tip for the top layer:  Roll the dough out on a greased sheet of saran wrap. Then lay it over the top of the dish and pull the saran wrap away.

I also forgot to take a picture of the final product (not a great day for picture taking...or my memory for that matter). Anyway, it looks a lot like the uncooked product, only golden brown. You get the idea. This is a great recipe when you're in a hurry and need something quick and yummy! Try it this weekend and let me know what you think. Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. My maternal grandma is german and she used to make a version of this. She used the same filling but wrapped them in cabbage leaves like an eggroll. Then she would fry them. It's one of my favorites! This version looks a lot easier. I'm going to have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete